Celebrating British Pie Week we were reminded of a tremendous childhood prank… The Apple-Pie Bed!
We’d love to know if kids are still getting up to this sort of nonsense. Somehow, even if I were to be the victim, I would be delighted if they were. It was indeed my own mother who taught me all about the Apple Pie Bed when I was about 7 years old. And, of course, she was my first victim! (Note to self… must pull that prank again on the old girl!)
So what is it?
Also known as a “short-sheeted bed”. You’ll need a bed, a mattress, a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a blanket or duvet. The sheet is basically folded halfway down the bed. Your victim climbs into bed, prepares to stretch out their legs and gets a fright when their progress is stopped short by back-folded sheet.
How to make an Apple-Pie Bed
- Put the bottom sheet on as normal.
- Put the upper sheet on, so that it hangs down on both sides, and is tucked in at the head end and folded with nice hospital corners.
- Now, fold it back on itself halfway down the bed.
- make the rest of the bed by putting on the full-size duvet or blanket, pillows, throws, and so on, as normal.
- Stand back, admire your work, and howl “BWAAAHHAHAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!” like the best arch-baddie you can ever be.
- Be on your guard for reprisals!
Do kids still do these pranks? What was your favourite prank as a kid?