How to Choose a Mattress Topper
The average person sleeps for 229,961 hours in their lifetime – a third of their life – so, a quality mattress is a must
Typically, your mattress will last between seven to ten years, by which time it’ll likely need a refresh to ensure you’re getting the best quality shut-eye possible.
Enter stage - mattress toppers!
So, before you begin delving into the cushion-y world of mattress toppers, our guide will cover:
What is a Mattress Topper?
Let’s cover the basics first. A mattress topper is a removeable layer you can pop on top of your mattress for an injection of comfort in lieu of buying a new mattress.
Mattress toppers have come along way since the days of being made from egg crate foam or feathers, (Yes, really.) Nowadays the most popular designs are memory foam toppers.
Memory foam toppers accommodate a whole range of sleepers, from restless sleepers to bad-back sleeps, as they cleverly adjust to your preferred position, meaning you’re always getting the support you need, exactly where you need it. Learn more in our guide to memory foam.
Why Use a Mattress Topper?
You might be thinking, I’ve already splashed out on a mattress, do I really need a mattress topper, too? Well, there are many benefits to using a mattress topper, ranging from comfort to hygiene and price.
Let’s explore a few, shall we?
Added Level of Comfort
A mattress topper can transform an uncomfortable mattress by adding a layer of padding to your bed.
Choosing the right style of mattress topper for your sleep type can aid misalignment issues and relieve aches and pains, and overall settle you down to sleep easier.
Increased Mattress Longevity
Although not the most pleasant thing to think about, but your mattress has plenty to deal with while trying to support you as you sleep.
We perspire, shed skin, drool, toss and turn; each contributing to the mattress structure shifting around beneath us.
All of this can take its toll on your mattress, so having a mattress topper acting as an extra barrier can hugely extend the life of your mattress.
Mattress toppers have been developed to such high levels that they can now help to maintain a high cleanliness level by absorbing perspiration, dust and other debris (yuck!) that would otherwise be absorbed into your mattress.
Some mattress toppers generate efficient air circulation, allowing your skin to breathe easier at night – a big bonus if you suffer from allergies, respiration problems or have sensitive skin.
Another bonus of mattress toppers is that they can be washed to maintain hygiene, unlike your mattress.
In a time when buying a new mattress may not be a priority, investing in a quality mattress topper is a great option to improve the comfort of an older mattress.
We’d never recommend you sleep on a broken mattress or mattress topper, so when it’s time to replace your mattress, there are a huge range of mattresses available with affordable payment plans offered. Check our mattress buying guide to find the right mattress for you.
Alleviate Aches and Pains
Mattress toppers are effective in relieving ailments such as back or joint pain and can also lend protective support to an assortment of different sleepers. They can also improve your sleeping position, which makes it easier to recover from exercise.
What is the Best Mattress Topper?
The mattress and bedding market is huge. So, knowing where to start when it comes to choosing mattress toppers can be difficult – and we want to make sure you’re spending your hard-earned cash on something that will do the job well.
We’ll explore the range of options available to suit different sleeping positions and essentially lend a hand in giving you the serene slumber you deserve.
The Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Sleeping on your side concentrates your weight on the shoulder and hip areas, which, over time, can affect your back and joints. When choosing a mattress topper as a side sleeper, you should consider these things:
- The Thickness: A thin mattress with a lack of padding increases pressure on hips and shoulders for side sleepers. We recommend choosing a thick topper to keep your spine as aligned as possible. The optimal depth is around 7cm.
- Pressure Relief: To ensure your spine is aligned correctly and you’re alleviating the pressure from your hips and shoulders, the pressure relief on your mattress topper needs to be good. Are you sinking too deeply into your bed? It may be time to consider a medium-soft mattress topper to alleviate the pressure and aid correct spine alignment.
- Density: This is the way that the firmness is calculated and is usually rated by manufacturers on a scale of 1-10 (one being soft and ten being firm.) For a side sleeper looking for a medium-soft mattress topper, you should be looking at around a four on the scale.
- Memory Foam or Latex: Side sleepers should prioritise memory foam or latex mattress toppers. These will be durable enough to support your body weight and these materials can even help pelvic rotation as these softer foams conform to your body shape and encourage straightening of the spine.
For side sleepers, we recommend our Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper. This targets five body areas including your head, torso, shoulders and legs. So, you can relieve the pressure that side sleeping can create.
The Best Mattress Topper for Back Sleep
With the perfect combination of a good mattress, mattress topper and pillow, a back sleeper is equipped with everything they need to sleep in a well-aligned position.
You should consider the following when looking for a mattress topper as a back sleeper:
How to Choose a Mattress Topper far a Bad Back
Those who suffer with back pain will attest to doing anything to improve it. One of the first points of call is to replace an unsupportive mattress, something which could worsen the problem and make getting shut-eye tricky and potentially even painful.
Consider the following when finding the best mattress topper for your bad back:
- Memory foam or latex: These options will mould to your body shape and support key areas such as your neck, which can have a direct impact on your spinal configuration to reduce back pain.
- Density: For those with existing back problems, you should opt for a mattress with a density of more than five pounds per cubic foot, giving optimal support in the long run.
- Thickness: In terms of thickness, the thicker the better for memory foam toppers. We would recommended going for a depth of al least 3-5cm to ensure your back is getting enough support.
- Your current mattress: A topper or mattress that’s too soft or hard can emphasise back pain, so take a look at your mattress before choosing a topper. A soft mattress will need a firmer topper, whereas a firm mattress could benefit from a soft, spongey topper.
Dormeo Mattress Toppers Explained
Our range of Octasmart mattress toppers are powered by our patented Ocataspring® sleep technology. This technology works to even out lumps and bumps in your old mattress, offering optimal support for your back, shoulders, and hips, which makes it a great all-round topper for front, back and side sleepers.
Our collection of Octaspring mattress toppers benefit from our innovative Octaspring® technology which includes memory foam springs that are proven to be 8x more breathable than traditional memory foam. Plus, with options to shop toppers with 5 body zones of different densities and strengths, any you buy from this collection is great for supporting your head, shoulders, torso and legs.
The Renew mattress topper collection is the perfect option if you’re looking to add a new lease of life to your old mattress on a budget. With a removable plush cover that’s easy to wash, the Renew mattress topper will give you the benefits of it’s supportive memory foam layer that will hug your body as you sleep and return to its original shape when not in use.
Our Fresh range mattress toppers have been designed with pressure-relieving memory foam and a Coolmax® cover to ensure your bedding is breathable and has the perfect moisture-wicking to keep you comfortable while you sleep. In this collection, we offer thicker layers, as well as zoned cushioning, so you’re sure to find something for you no matter whether you’re a back, front or side sleeper.
Plus, as these are non-allergenic, they’re also great for those with respiratory conditions and allergies.
And there we have it – our mattress topper guide. No matter what kind of sleeper you are, you deserve a good night’s sleep. We hope you can gleam some insights from us when it comes to choosing the best topper to ensure you get this!
Here at Dormeo, we have plenty of cosy bedding to choose from including memory foam mattress toppers to give you the ultimate comfort boost. There are different levels of firmness to choose from, so you’re sure to find one to suit your sleeping position.
For ultra-tranquil sleep, we recommend teaming them with one of our mattresses. We offer incredibly supportive mattresses in sizes to suit every sleeper and bedroom, including super king, European king size, king size , single,small double, and single mattresses.
What’s more, we’re so certain you’ll love our mattresses that we offer a 60 night comfort guarantee.