How to choose the best mattress topper if you’re a side sleeper
Side sleepers have more needs than those that sleep on their back, as all of your weight is concentrated in the shoulder and hip areas, which could mean you end up harming your back and joints. You should consider these things if you’re looking for the best mattress topper for side sleeping:
- The thickness: Side sleepers generally don’t feel comfortable sleeping on thin mattresses due to the lack of padding, so we recommend choosing a thick topper to keep your spine as aligned as possible. Similarly to those with back pain, a side sleeper should look for a depth of around 7cm, which usually means the best toppers are quite dense as well.
- The pressure relief: To ensure your spine is aligned correctly and you’re alleviating the pressure from your hips and shoulders, the pressure relief on your mattress topper needs to be good. To determine this, you need to ensure you’re not sinking too deeply into your bed as this can be a recipe for disaster. We recommend choosing a medium-soft mattress topper as it’ll take away this pressure and ensure your spine is in good alignment.
- The density: This is the way that the firmness is calculated and is usually rated by manufacturers on a scale of 1–10, 1 being soft and 10 being firm. For a side sleeper looking for a medium-soft mattress topper, you should be looking for around a 4 on the scale.
- Memory foam or latex: Side sleepers should prioritise memory foam or latex mattress toppers as these will be durable enough to support your body weight. These materials can even help pelvic rotation as these softer foams conform to your body shape and encourage straightening of the spine.
For side sleepers, we recommend our Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper. It has a perfect supportive depth of 7cm and works to target 5 body areas including your head, torso, shoulders and legs. So, you can relieve the pressure that side sleeping can create.
How to choose the best mattress topper if you’re a stomach sleeper
Sleeping on your front can make it very difficult to achieve neutral spinal alignment because much of your body weight is at your core. This means that your torso is susceptible to sinking into the mattress deeper than the rest of your limbs and head. This sleeping position can heighten the risk of back pain, but if you really can’t switch to side or back sleeping, getting a mattress topper which meets the following criteria will support you best:
- Memory foam or latex: These softer and malleable mattress toppers will support the full weight of your body that front sleeping typically brings. These types of topper will cradle your body and ensure you’re not sinking too far into the bed, as this can cause misalignment problems.
- The pressure relief: A mattress topper that can alleviate pressure off your torso will ensure your spine is arched the right amount to prevent back pain. We recommend that your bed feels medium-firm overall, whether that means you choose a soft mattress and a firmer topper, or vice versa.
- The thickness: The thickness should be chosen in consideration with the amount of pain relief you’re expecting to get. But if you’re struggling to assess this, generally stomach sleepers should be opting for between a 1–2-inch thickness as this can strike the right balance between softening up a firm mattress or firming up a softer one.
- The density: Typically, a medium or medium-firm mattress bed will be most comfortable for side sleepers. This means you should be choosing a mattress topper that will fall between rating 4–7 on the firmness scale depending on the feel of your mattress itself. However, those who are a bit heavier than average may want to choose a firmer mattress topper.
For stomach sleepers, we would recommend our Octasmart Plus Mattress Topper or our Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper. They both have a medium comfort grade that will fit the density requirements that front sleepers need. Plus, as they both have a memory foam layer, you can be sure your body will be supported just the right amount.
How to choose the best mattress topper if you’re a back sleeper
Assuming you have the right pillow, sleeping on your back can make it easier to keep everything well aligned (we have a great range of pillows for you to shop, including anti-allergy options). But it can also increase lower back pain to some extent if your mattress is too soft. Therefore, you should consider the following when looking for a mattress topper:
- Memory foam or latex: As with all other sleeping positions, memory foam and latex have the ability to support back sleepers who distribute their weight through a larger surface area.
- The thickness: We recommend choosing mattress toppers that are between 2–3 inches thick as this will ensure you don’t sink too far into the bed, which could otherwise misalign your spine and cause back pain.
- The density: The amount you weigh can dictate how dense your mattress topper should be as a back sleeper. For average weight sleepers, they should choose a medium–firm feel, whereas lighter people will want to choose slightly softer toppers while heavier people should pick a firmer topper.
For back sleepers, we recommend opting for either our Octasmart Plus Mattress Topper or our Octaspring Body Zone Mattress Topper. They both have a depth of 7cm so will be perfect for supporting your back while you sleep. However, if you’re after something less thick, the Dormeo Renew Plus Mattress Topper will be a happy medium for you to sink into.
Dormeo mattress toppers explained
Our range of Octasmart mattress toppers are powered by our patented Octaspring® sleep technology. This technology works to even out lumps and bumps in your old mattress and adapt to your body through many comfort points, to ensure you always get a good night's sleep. It also offers optimal support for your back, shoulders and hips, which makes it a great all-round topper for front, back and stomach sleepers.
Our collection of Octaspring mattress toppers benefit from our innovative Octaspring® technology which includes memory foam springs that are proven to be 8 times more breathable than traditional memory foam. They are all made from visco-elastic fabric which relieves pressure and moulds to your shape as you sleep. Plus, with options to shop toppers with 5 body zones of different densities and strengths, any you buy from this collection is great for supporting your head, shoulders, torso and legs.
The Renew mattress topper collection is the perfect option if you're looking to add a new lease of life to your old mattress on a budget. The Renew collection is made with a removeable plush cover that's easily washable. If you choose one of these mattress toppers, you'll also benefit from a supportive memory foam layer that will hug your body as you sleep and return to its original shape when not in use.
Our Aloe vera mattress toppers are the perfect choice if you're looking to boost your sleep hygiene, as well as smoothing out any lumps and bumps on your older mattress. There are many benefits of choosing an Aloe vera enriched cover such as its natural soothing and antimicrobial properties which will help you to wake up feeling revitalised.
If you like the sound of our Aloe vera toppers, you might also be interested in our range of Aloe vera mattresses which will provide you with antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial protection while you sleep.
As the name suggests, our All Seasons mattress toppers are great for all times of the year. These toppers benefit from Outlast® heat-managing fabric which has been developed by NASA to protect their astronauts from temperature fluctuations. This means you can rely on these mattress toppers to get you through even the coldest and warmest seasons, ensuring you get a comfortable snooze all year round.
Our range of Fresh mattress toppers have been designed with pressure-relieving memory foam and a Coolmax® cover to ensure your bedding is breathable and has the perfect moisture-wicking properties to keep you comfortable while you sleep. In this collection, we offer thicker foam layers, as well as zoned cushioning, so you're sure to find something for you no matter whether you're a back, front or side sleeper.
Plus, as these are non-allergenic, they're also great for those with respiratory conditions and allergies.
Mattress toppers can take your bed from old and tired to heavenly comfortable. With a range of options to suit sleepers of all preferences, and at a more affordable price than a mattress replacement, they’re well worth giving a go.
Here at Dormeo, we have plenty of cosy bedding to choose from including memory foam mattress toppers to give you the ultimate comfort boost. There are different levels of firmness to choose from, so you’re sure to find one to suit your sleeping position.
For an ultra-tranquil sleep, we recommend teaming them with one of our mattresses. Here at Dormeo, we offer incredibly supportive mattresses in sizes to suite every sleeper and bedroom, including super-king, European king, king, single, small double, and double mattresses. What’s more, we’re so certain you’ll love our mattresses that we offer a 60-night comfort guarantee.
If you’d like to know more about any of our products, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Or, browse our other guides and FAQs and our sleep blog for advice on all things sleep-related.
Written by Phil Lawlor